Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Piece of Peace

Last week, I was sure that I was about to be offered a job. The only thing left was a formality. I was beyond certain that it was going to happen and had been given every indication that an offer was imminent.

On Friday, I went to the Senate Bible Study and Chaplain Black said "don't do anything until you have peace." I immediately thought of the job. I knew I didn't have peace about taking it. But then I also thought "God, you better give me peace about it, because I am taking this job. I see no option but to take it. I can't turn it down." The illustration Chaplain Black used was even about a job he once had to turn down because he didn't have peace! I still stubbornly sat there and thought I could do it without peace. What was I thinking?!

Less than two hours later, I got an email that said they had hired someone else. Wow. I could have decided that I wasn't going to take it because I didn't have peace and do it on my own terms. But, instead God had to intervene and humble me.

What I have found so encouraging through this all weekend is that I felt like God was communicating with me. It has been a little while since I felt that, and it feels so... peaceful... when he does. It had been so clear that I was getting this job that truly only God's hand could have changed the course. God was telling me "this is not where I want you." Even a frustrating word from God is a word from God.

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to hear no from GOD. But usually when we says no, it's because he has something better to give us.

    ReplyDelete