Thursday, May 28, 2009

Accountability

My arms are aching as I type this. I'm seriously trying to avoid having to move my right arm all the way over to my mouse. Yesterday's gym time pushed me to my limits. My trainer doesn't always do my whole workout with me, but on the one or two days a week that he does, I am in pain the next day. What is it about having someone with you that pushes you to do more than you would on your own? Even just getting to the gym would be tough to do without the white-erase board on a wall in my cubicle that my coworkers and I use to tally each time we go.

On Tuesday, Starlette, who is supposed to be the one who keeps me accountable on reading the bible, asked me where I was. (We are trying to keep pace with each other). Well, just that question (and the embarrassing answer I had to give her) motivated me to read the entire book of Esther before going to bed.

The concept of accountability isn't new-- and this blog entry might be a bit cliche. But although we all know it works, we clearly don't all put it into practice. Why not?

As Americans, we love our freedom. Especially those of us who are single. That is the one thing that we think we have on all our married friends-- no one is telling us what to do and when to do it! I can go to bed whenever I want, hang out with who I want, spend my money on what I want... but is this "benefit" of singlehood really healthy?

3 comments:

  1. You kinda switched gears there in that last paragraph :)

    1) Accountability is a good concept and definitely has it's place, but I also think we have to reach a point where we know we can count on ourselves to make the right decisions - just coming from someone who was thrown out on an island without his community for a while 2) I see nothing wrong w/ the benefit singlehood "freedom" brings - as long as the understanding and realization is there that sacrifices and changes will happen when the relationship begins. I think the problems arise when people can't make the adjustments either way - they either expect too much freedom and independence in a relationship that they forget how to support and give - and on the flip side someone can be too dependent on getting their happiness and their self worth from another they don't know how to enjoy "freedom" or the state of being single...

    enjoying your blogs...keep 'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have clarified a bit. I was not knocking singlehood. I was more suggesting that we should have our community fill some of that role. For instance, I have a tendency to stay up too late and really wear myself out. This is something my roommates could help keep me accountable on.

    Your other point- that we shouldn't rely on others to help us make the right decisions is actually something I thought about before writing the blog. But, we can't really rely on ourselves-- we have to rely on God. Maybe that could be another posting sometime-- the gift of intuition that He gives us for guidance and also listening for His voice.

    Thanks for your comments, Jeremiah. Give Elzie a kiss for me when you see her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Christians, does being single give us the ability to do whatever we want? Can I hand out with whomever I want or should I consider the promptings of the Spirit in the use of my time? Can I use my money however I want or do I look at it as not my own but a gift God has given me to steward?

    ReplyDelete